Consultation Event No. 1
As part of the option appraisal process for the Grangemouth Flood Protection Scheme, consultation event no .1 took place on 27 February 2018 and 19 April 2018. The event allowed residents / business owners and the public to view and comment on the options being considered and provide further information on the proposed scheme.
The purpose of the consultation event was to:
The boards displayed at the event can be viewed by clicking on the thumbnail images below:
3D Fly Through
The 3D animations below show what the scheme may look like for the options being considered. At this stage these are purely illustrative of the type of work to be carried out in each area. As the design develops more detail will become available on matters such as the finish and appearance of flood defence walls e.g. are they clad in brick or stone or will they be plain or patterned concrete.
Grange Burn - Option A
Grange Burn - Option B
Grange Burn - Option C
Grangemouth Flood Protection Scheme - Full Scheme Excluding Grange Burn
Clarification on Grange Burn Option B - Zetland Park
Following the consultation event on 19 April, the project team would like to confirm the following:
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find the answers to some of the questions which the Project Team is often asked about the Scheme:
Why is a flood protection scheme required, when no flood events have occurred in recent years?
A flood protection scheme is required to protection residential and commercial property based on a predicted risk of flooding. The scheme is being designed to achieve a 1 in 200-year standard of protection. Statistically there is a 0.5% chance of this event occurring any year, however, this does not mean that the event should only occur every 200-years. Less frequent flood events often have consequences considerably greater than has been experienced in the past.
Dredging the watercourses would reduce the risk of flooding?
Dredging has been considered and shown to offer limited benefit to reducing peak water levels in the channel. This activity is not a sustainable solution given the need to frequently re-dredge the watercourses.
Why cannot the existing pumping stations cope with the predicted flood water?
Most of the existing pumping stations in the Grangemouth area are Scottish Water Pumping Stations, which predominantly deal with foul water rather than surface water. The existing pumping stations would not be able to cope with the predicted flows for a 1 in 200-year event.
What is being done to manage surface water flooding?
Surface water flooding can be defined as flooding that occurs when rainfall ponds directly in an area, due to the surrounding ground levels and topography. Falkirk Council have identified a requirement to carry out a Surface Water Management Study for the Falkirk area (which includes the scheme extents). Under the Flood Risk Management (Scotland) Act 2009, the scheme cannot increase flood risk to properties, therefore, the project team will be assessing the potential pluvial flood risk from the scheme. If required, additional drainage (pumping stations) may be necessary to stop flood water ponding at the rear of the proposed flood defences.
Who is funding the scheme?
The scheme is eligible for Capital Grant funding from the Scottish Government. The grant funding can contribute up to 80% of eligible scheme costs, with the remaining 20% being funded from Falkirk Council and others. Falkirk Council is currently exploring additional sources of funding to the council.
Will the existing trees on the banks of the Grange Burn need to be felled?
Depending on which option is identified as the preferred option for the Grange Burn, will determine how many and which trees need to be felled. Where proposed flood defences are close to existing trees (within the tree canopy), it is likely the existing trees will need to be felled to allow construction of new flood defences although every effort will be made to retain as many trees as possible. Once the new flood defences have been constructed, new planting will take place in front and behind the flood defences depending on other factors such as proximity to roads, utilities etc.
A report will be produced by the Project Team, on consultation event no. 1 to allow you to review the questions and concerns raised by those who completed questionnaires. The report will be posted on this website in due course.